Monday, July 20, 2009

White Roses and Virtue


I'm actually going to try and keep up with my blog and post all the fun pictures I've been taking and share some of the many lessons I'm currently learning in life.

I absolutely loved Sister Dalton's talk from the most recent General Young Women Meeting for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. (See quote below) After reading this talk on the plane on the way to Oakland, I couldn't resist this breathtaking view at the Oakland temple that very evening.

"When I was a young woman, my Young Women leaders had each of us choose a symbol that would represent the life that we would live and what we would strive to become as daughters of God. We then stitched these symbols onto our bandlos—which were fabric sashes that we wore. These bandlos were our personal banners to the world! I chose the symbol of a white rose because roses become more and more beautiful as they grow and blossom, and I chose the color white for purity. Last year when I was called to be the Young Women general president, as I was leaving President Monson’s office, he reached over to a bouquet of white roses, took one from the vase, and handed it to me. The moment he handed me that beautiful white rose, I knew why. I went back to the time when, as a young woman, I chose the white rose as my symbol of purity—my personal banner. How did President Monson know? I took that precious rose home, put it in a beautiful crystal vase, and placed it on a table where I could see it every day. Every day that rose reminded me of the importance of my own personal purity and virtue, and it reminded me of you. As you grow and blossom, your personal purity will enable you to become a force for good and an influence for righteousness in the world. I truly believe that one virtuous young woman, led by the Spirit, can change the world." Elaine S Dalton

If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report let's seek after those things!!

With hope, Lynley

No comments: