Thursday, November 18, 2010

Divine


Who am I? This is one of the foremost philosophical and spiritual questions of life. Every week in Young Women (My church's program for 12-18 year old girls) we stand together and say, "We are daughters of a Heavenly Father who loves us, and we love him..." We teach our youth that they are divine in nature and heritage. The world challenges this truth; it always has. It seems an individual is not important unless he or she has attained some manner of wealth, prestige, or social status.

The other day my sister Jeni called to share a "Mauri moment" with me. It's amazing how much I learn from my little niece. She saw a duck wearing a crown on television and exclaimed, "Oh look, a princess quack!" Jeni said, "That's right! You're a princess too!" Mauri looked at her sadly and said, "No. I no crown. I'm not a princess."

At two years old, she already believed the world's myth. I want her to know who she is. She is a daughter of God who loves her. She is a princess. I love the following story Sister Elaine S. Dalton, General Young Women's President recently told,

"I have always loved the story of the son of King Louis XVI of France because he had an unshakable knowledge of his identity. As a young man, he was kidnapped by evil men who had dethroned his father, the king. These men knew that if they could destroy him morally, he would not be heir to the throne. For six months they subjected him to every vile thing life had to offer, and yet he never yielded under pressure. This puzzled his captors, and after doing everything they could think of, they asked him why he had such great moral strength. His reply was simple. He said, “I cannot do what you ask, for I was born to be a king.”12

Like the king’s son, each of you has inherited a royal birthright. Each of you has a divine heritage. “You are literally the royal daughters of our Father in Heaven.”13 Each of you was born to be a queen." Elaine S Dalton LDS.ORG

Mauri's concern that she couldn't be a princess without a crown gave me an opportunity to reflect on who she is, and who I am. We are daughters of a Heavenly Father who loves us and we love him.

With Love,
L

No comments: