Saturday, September 22, 2012

From the Archives: Versailles


Less than ten photos. Could I really have only taken just a handful of photos on our day-trip to Versailles?! I die. Did my camera batteries die? (Actually come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that was the case. First rule of photography: always charge your batteries!)

This day held so many adventures! Thinking back, I would love to have taken photos of so many details along the way: the train depot; the train exterior and interior; the view of the city flying by out of the dingy train window; the lovely patisserie where we stopped for breakfast; the little shops we wandered through in town; more detail shots of the beautiful and opulent facade of the Chateau de Versailles; the gardens (though it was December and they were quite bleak); the charming cobblestone roads in town; lunch at McDonald's with the girls (fancy); waiting for the bus with Stephanie to travel to the toile museum in Jouy-en-Josas (a little town outside of Versailles); the bus ride (with local school children) through those beautiful winding country roads; the toile museum... (oh the toile!! Serious fabric and textile nerd here); waiting for the bus to return and realizing the last one of the day had already run (No. Even now I wouldn't have been taking pictures during that stressful part of our adventure); the lovely "bus-stop angel" (sweet french woman) who waited with us and flagged down another bus to take us back to Versailles; The relief of making it back to town and meeting back up with our traveling companions... just in time for last train back to Paris; seeing the Eiffel Tower sparkling in the distance on the train ride back to the city...

Likely, I would have hundreds of photos of that day had I owned my little Canon back then... Thank goodness for my memories!! Looks like I will just have to go and do it all over again. Perhaps I would skip the part where we were stranded at the bus-stop;)

L

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I even remember the name of that bus stop - Les Trois Canards (pardon my French misspellings!). Aside from the toile (more time there, please!) and our angel, let's not repeat that part of the visit. ;) Even so, I am thrilled and honored that I get to share those memories with you. You're an amazing travel buddy! Next time around, how about we actually stay in Versailles (the village, not the palace which is probably haunted) and spend a couple of days wandering around.

Whitney said...

I LOVE Versailles! We rented bikes and rode all through the gardens. It was SO lovely! When you go back to Paris, can I come with you?! Can we go really soon, like, say, tomorrow?

Lynley Jill said...

Let's all go NOW!!! Oh what fun that would be!!

Stephanie said...

I would love to share a trip with you two cool chicas! Want to go to London afterward? ;)