Friday, May 21, 2010

Vintage Toile Love

I love this page because it features two of my favorite things: Toile fabric and vintage sheet music! For me art and music go hand in hand. They're my creative outlets; they make me feel alive! Anyone who knows me could tell you how much I love toile! If you don't know what toile is, it's the stunning french pastoral fabric featured in my artwork above. I'm not quite sure when this obsession began, but I've been collecting toile since I was a teenager. It just makes me happy! When I went to Paris I took a day trip to a quaint little village outside of Versailles to visit the Toile de Jouy Museum. I was in awe of the gorgeous vintage fabric prints and antique decor!

My love of music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. While I love collecting vintage sheet music, I must admit I play best by ear. I can read music just fine, but much prefer the freedom of my own personal interpretation. Sometimes it even takes a while for my brain to catch up and realize what I'm playing.

I am convinced Heavenly Father gave us music, art, and beautiful things to make our world a better, happier place. President Dieter F Uchtdorf has said,

"the more you trust and rely upon the Spirit, the greater your capacity to create. That is your opportunity in this life and your destiny in the life to come. Sisters, trust and rely on the Spirit. As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty and helpfulness, you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you."


Creatively Yours,
Lynley


No comments: