Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Enough!


Dear Perfectionism,

I'm sorry for being so blunt, but you've taken up residence here for far too long. I am letting you know it is time we say goodbye. I am good enough. I don't need you telling me otherwise anymore.

Sincerely,
L

Today I was working on a page in my studio. I found myself battling those familiar voices of perfectionism and criticism, seeking to rob me of creativity and joy. "My page isn't good enough. I'm not organized enough." The inward struggle than became more personal, "I am not a good Young Women President. I should be a better wife..." The negative thoughts keep rolling on and on, building upon one another and becoming increasingly discouraging.

In the marketing world, everything is so contrived, so perfectly arranged, so inauthentic. In real life, pictures aren't always perfect, stamps smudge where they shouldn't, and not every page is a masterpiece. I am still learning how to be more organized. I am doing my best in my calling. I am a good wife, daughter, sister, and friend. I am trying, and I am doing a good job.

Perhaps you've felt like this before too. This post is my little effort to take a stand...to say, ENOUGH! I know my Father in Heaven doesn't want me to beat myself up like this. He values my best efforts and doesn't expect me to run faster than I have strength. I am going to work on treating myself more like he does. Goodbye perfectionism.

With Hope,
L

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Oh my goodness, Lynley! You look so cute in that picture! I love that little chair! Perfectionism is a stinker for sure. I don't know why the heck he can't just go away and leave us alone for good. Sheesh. I hope you have a happy weekend my friend! :)